Thursday, 23 April 2015

Ipsy April 2015 Review


Box: Ipsy (Referral link)
Price: $10/month, $110/year; $4.95 shipping to Canada
Ships to: North America
What’s inside: Various beauty product samples and full size products, very roughly personalized

This month's bag is sort of a woven fabric, with a lined inside. It's bigger than most bags Ipsy sent out and I really thank them for it, since the past few days I've had to do my entire face outside of my home and I needed a bigger bag to hold my essentials. 


Fit eyeshadow, Carnation Pink blush (pigmented swipe, then blended out)
Pandora's Makeup Box Carnation Pink Blush Full size || Value: $14
I know a lot of people are going to hate getting this single pan, but I kind of like it! I don't have a magnetic palette yet, but one is on my list. I can't wait to depot a bunch of my things into it, including this. It's a very sizable amount of blush, especially considering that it's super pigmented. Seriously, I can't believe how intense the colour comes through with the lightest tap of my brush. This makes it difficult because I found it a bit harder to blend than other blushes I own. Not something I'd buy but nothing I won't use, either.

theBalm Cosmetics NUDE Dude Eyeshadow Single in Fit 1g/0.035oz || Value: ~$3
theBalm is a brand I've heard about a lot but I've never been able to find it easily where I am. I think the packaging just edges over the line between tacky and clever, though the whole sexualization of it really creeps me out sometimes. What's with all these PG13 names for makeup, these days (I'm especially looking at you, Urban Decay)? Anyway, this shadow is a "shimmering copper". I have a huge fondness for anything in the metallic brown/bronze/gold/copper spectrum so of course I'm glad to get this. Yet I found the quality "meh" for such a hyped brand. This 100% needs a primer (here, I used UDPP). The colour is pretty but not super unique, either. It was, however, easy to apply and blend. 


Essence Lash Princess Volume Mascara Full size || Value: $4.99
Mascara is something I refuse to open unless I need it, because of how quickly it goes dry. From the pictures I've seen online, it looks like this has some major lengthening properties, but... in my opinion, it looks pretty clumpy. Some pictures are just bordering the line of "spider lash". Maybe paired with another mascara (or a really good spooling through), this will be good!

Ziaja Goat's Milk Day Cream 10.35ml/0.35fl oz || Value: $2.67
Beneficial ingredients of note: shea butter, soybean oil ferment, olive oil, goat milk extract
Detrimental ingredients of note: fragrance, limonene (second last ingredient)
I have so many face creams now! This little sample is perfect for small trips away. I'm fairly impressed with the ingredients list but it is pretty long and therefore this cream has a higher likelihood of irritating or breaking someone out. I've not used goat's milk on my face before (though I have used snail, bird's nest, and donkey's milk!), so I wonder if this will make much of a difference.

Jor'el Parker Femina Fragrance 8.8ml/1.7oz || Value: $9.68
Notes: Meyer Lemon, White Grapefruit, Satsuma Mandarin, Summer Forsythia, Pink Plumeria, Wild Verbena, Tahitian Vanilla, Sensual Musk.
As soon as I tried this rollerball on my wrist, I immediately noted it's similarity to another fragrance I own (and enjoy), Hello by Harvey Prince, which I received from my (now cancelled) Beauty Box 5, in May. And what do you know... the notes are exactly the same. Oh, and if you want to purchase Femina, you'll be directed to this page on Harvey Prince's website. I can't complain about getting a scent I enjoy (and I'm almost done with my last sample, and can't wait to use an easier rollerball container), but wow, Harvey Prince. That's sneaky. I'd hate to be the one who accidentally purchases both.



Top: Pops 1 swipe, Pops 3 swipes, Little Susie 1 swipe, Little Susie 3 swipes
NYX Cosmetics Butter Lipsticks in Pops and Little Susie Full size
I enjoyed the lipstick I recieved in the shade Hunk from last month, so with some extra points I nabbed these! Unfortunately, my lip infection (since confirmed to be a fungal infection! Cause unknown) has returned and I've not been able to use these on my lips. I would assume they work as well as or better than Hunk, which is a more saturated and darker colour. Pops is a nice nude colour which might be MLBB (my lips but better) on me, whereas Little Susie is a bright, cheery pink.


I got just about $35 worth of product here, but the vast majority was made up by the full sized blush, so I would say I didn't get as much value as I'd like. Recently I've had some really spectacular months with Ipsy but this wasn't really one of them. Oh well, can't win them all.

No comments :

Post a Comment