Tuesday, 31 March 2015

Amoda Tea March 2015 Review


Box: Amoda Tea
Price: $18/month, including shipping
Ships to: North America
What’s inside: 4 different teas (~3 cups each), tea filters

I can't help but feel a little disappointed in the declining quality of the overall Amoda Tea experience. The tea is still great, don't get me wrong -- but I've noticed the small changes Amoda has made to save on some money, and while I understand that things are difficult for a small company, some changes can really be obvious. In this instance, it's receiving this really tiny piece of printed-on paper with a blank back instead of the usual full-colour printed greeting card. Opening up my box to see this was just a bit underwhelming, in my experience.

But let's get on to the teas, which are the important part.

Organic Black Gold Tips by Treasure Green Tea || Black
Ingredients: Organic Chinese black tea

Black tea is my favourite kind of tea, and these did not disappoint. This tea can be steeped two or three times and is a light, smooth tea that I think would be perfect for anyone getting used to the strength of black teas. It's almost sweet, even. This would probably go well with milk, as Amoda suggests, but I've yet to try it thanks to lactose intolerance. 

Pineapple Sencha by Den's Tea || Green
Ingredients: Sencha green tea, dried pineapple, natural oil
A really cool looking, grassy green tea with pineapple pieces. This smells absolutely amazing and is super strong, almost like sticking your face into a pile of fruity tropical candy. When steeped it retains its scent. The taste is definitely grassier than your typical bagged tea, with a fruity twist. Very smooth and easy to drink, I think this would be great cold and my only regret is that I don't have more of it. I know what I'm ordering from Amoda Tea next time!
Jasmine Mist by Sloane Tea || Jasmine green
Ingredients: Chinese green tea scented with jasmine blossom
This smells precisely like jasmine and tastes like it, too. An understated, simple tea that brings me back to eating phở with the family. I really enjoy this as well. According to the info card I can steep this multiple times, but the bag itself didn't say so. I'm kind of sad I missed the opportunity for more of this!
Ginger Twist by Sloane Tea || Herbal
Ingredients: lemongrass, mint, ginger, ginseng, licorice root, apple, papaya, citrus peel, cornflower petals, natural flavour
Can't win 'em all, right? I hate lemongrass. I was hoping the mint and ginger in this tea would overpower it, but they did not. To me, this is just the epitome of herbal medicine drink. I don't think I will even be able to finish this, unfortunately. I'm not sure if I know anyone who likes lemongrass enough for this, either.








This month was a pretty decent month for me and Amoda, with three teas I really enjoy and one I hate. But the three I do like I legitimately would like to order again, so there was a net gain here. I can see that there are corners being cut for costs and though I can understand them, as a consumer it's a bit sad to see. I definitely hope that Amoda does not have to shut down again like they did last year, because they still have great product, and that's the majority of what matters. I will continue to subscribe to them for as long as I can! 

No comments :

Post a Comment